Thursday, January 19, 2017

A Cautionary Tale of Christmas Candy

Before our children were married, we spent most of our Christmas’s in California with my parents. In my parent’s home is a candy closet, full of many, many “favorites”.  It is known by the nickname of: “Grandma’s Candy Closet”. To pass time while driving to Sydney’s parents for Christmas, Nate (son) and Sydney (daughter-in-law) wrote this poem about Grandma’s Candy Closet:

A Cautionary Tale of Christmas Candy

‘Twas the night before Christmas
Grandma's Candy Closet - Trudy, December 2016
"We elves try to stick to the four main food groups:
candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup."
(quote by Buddy on "Elf")
And all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring,
Not even a mouse.

My parents in bed,
My siblings asleep.
On quiet tip toes,
To the closet I creep.

In daylight restricted,
At nighttime guard free.
I stuffed all my pockets,
More candy for me!

I turn to go back,
No time to delay.
What’s that out the window?
Did I see a sleigh?

My face flushes white,
I know what I’ve done!
If I’m caught red handed,
My Christmas won’t come!

I emptied my pockets,
And dashed for the hall.
Those sleigh bells I hear,
mean St. Nick’s come to call!

Could I be so careless, so thoughtless, so dumb?
Had I, as Icarus, flown too close to the sun?
The one night a year I’m to be extra mindful,
I’d gambled it all for a single sweet mouthful.

Down the chimney he’s coming,
I’m sure as can be.
My parents, Keith & Lucile Tibbitts and Del
There’s still time to fix this!
I’ll slip past the tree!

I made it to bed
And quickly feigned sleeping,
And hoped that St. Nick
Wouldn’t hear my hard breathing

My ruse overcame me,
I started to doze,
But swear to this day,
I heard three Ho, Ho, Ho’s

So to kids a reminder,
On this Christmas night,
Delay your adventures
And stay tucked in tight!


Del & Trudy, December 2016
Santa (my dad) bought 2 boxes, 2 pounds each, of Sees Chocolates!
Our favorite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment