Monday, May 16, 2016

"Really There"


I posted my painting of the Paperboy a few days ago and because it was about my father it caused me to reflect back to a time in High School when I drew this charcoal drawing of a statue of Michelangelo. I remember one night in particular. The finished project was due the next day. Actually, the day had already arrived as it was past midnight. I was exhausted. I couldn’t get the nose right, or was it the mouth or one of the eyes? I don’t remember now, but I was struggling with one last part. My dad suggested that I go to bed. He said he would work on it.  I sure appreciated his offer that night. It was such a kind gesture. When I look at this picture, I don’t remember my grade or the specific art class and what semester I took it in, but I remember my dad letting me get some much needed sleep and I remember waking up to a finished project.
I saw a little television advertisement called “Waiting for Dad.” It shows the love of a father, depicted in the father stopping what he was doing to spend time with his child. My dad was the same. He was always happiest when he was with his children. At least he made us feel that way! He still does! The video says: “When you’re really there…they’ll know how much you care.” My dad was, and is, “really there.” Thanks dad!!
Am I “really there” with those that I care about? Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment